Welcome ya'll,

Thanks for checking out my blog. This is mostly my own crazy thoughts on a variety of subjects, but primarily they will be about movies, tv, and books. Being a movie junkie, rabid reader, and TV show-aholic, this blog is just another excuse to feed my addictions. [a quiet 'yay me']. Hope you enjoy, Clancy Metzger

Friday, March 20, 2015

The Odd Couple & The Last Man on Earth

The Last Man on Earth. I'm not sure about this one.

I think Will Forte is perfect for the last man on earth cuz he has enough endearingness to him personally to make me like him despite some unattractive traits he has. On one hand, I'm with him - stop signs and parking spaces mean nothing if you're the only vehicle around. On the other hand - if you don't take the time (and all you have is time) to take care of yourself on a basic level, like personal grooming and some modicum of cleanliness to your living space, then yes, you will become despondent and depressed. So, there are definitely things I like and don't like about Phil as a character.

Let's talk about Carol. Carol is the last woman on earth and though Kristen Schaal is good in the role, she is also playing a bad stereotype of a hen-pecking, anal-retentive, control freak of a wife-type. Not flattering, but not the actresses fault (this would be on the writers). I agree a woman would probably bother to stay more clean, personally and with her surroundings, than Phil is managing. And yes, it is kind of funny that she chooses to be a grammar-cop, but that she feels the need to 'fix' Phil and act as though she is in charge and the last word in what is right or wrong is less funny and more bad stereo-typing. It just sort of hit a wrong note with me.

I'll probably give it couple more episodes before I decide yay or nay.

Now, The Odd Couple I really liked, Mathew Perry is a perfect sports slob Oscar Madison and Thomas Lennon could not be more perfect as the over-the-top annoying clean freak, Felix Unger. I always loved this show - the old TV show with Jack Klugman and Tony Randall, and the movies with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon. It's just a brilliant concept that Neil Simon gave us in his original play that spurred on these renditions.

Matthew Perry has played both sides of this if you think back to the neurotic Chandler Bing from Friends. I like him as a thoughtless, shallow slob hiding his heart of gold. And Thomas Lennon... OMG... he is priceless as Felix. So funny and sweet and vulnerable and irritating and ... well you get the idea. Perfect casting.

The supporting cast with Dave Foley, Wendell Pierce, Yvette Nicole Brown, Leslie Bibb, and Lindsay Sloane is a perfect blend of funny.

Anyway - I think this is a good modern version of a timeless story and it will only get better as everyone settles into their groove.

No comments:

Post a Comment