Welcome ya'll,

Thanks for checking out my blog. This is mostly my own crazy thoughts on a variety of subjects, but primarily they will be about movies, tv, and books. Being a movie junkie, rabid reader, and TV show-aholic, this blog is just another excuse to feed my addictions. [a quiet 'yay me']. Hope you enjoy, Clancy Metzger

Saturday, March 13, 2010

"Tommy"

I had never watched The Who's rock opera "Tommy' until last night. This may seem a big deal to some and an irrelevant fact to others, but until recently, I just had not had any interest in it - it seemed strange to me. So, now that I've watched it, I can say with out any hesitation at all that it is indeed strange.

It may be my lack of rock knowledge or my naivete when it comes to things counter culture, or possibly I'm just a little dumb in some things - I dunno - but I did not understand this movie at all. Not one little bit.

I liked a lot of the music. Some of the songs were just terrific. Elton John as a the Pinball Wizard until his dethronement was cool, Tina Turner as the Acid Queen was bizarre, and Oliver Reed and Ann Margaret as really bad parents were disturbing. Roger Daltrey did a great job of playing the deaf, blind, mute Tommy. But the point of the story escaped me and even though I did make it to end, I kept waiting for the point to appear, so it would all become relevant and enlightening. I'm still confused. If someone can explain this movie to me, I welcome any and all explanations. Therefore, I won't say I did not like it or that it was bad - neither would be true - but I also cannot say I liked it or that I thought it was good. Confused - see?

No comments:

Post a Comment