Welcome ya'll,

Thanks for checking out my blog. This is mostly my own crazy thoughts on a variety of subjects, but primarily they will be about movies, tv, and books. Being a movie junkie, rabid reader, and TV show-aholic, this blog is just another excuse to feed my addictions. [a quiet 'yay me']. Hope you enjoy, Clancy Metzger

Monday, February 22, 2010

On "Persuasion" and Jane Austen

Color me HAPPY. I just found another version of Jane Austen's "Persuasion" to love.

Some might call me obsessed - I'll call myself passionate. I currently own movie versions of all six of Jane Austen's stories:
Pride and Prejudice - I have the 2005 version with Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen and a 1980 BBC version with Elizabeth Garvey and David Rintoul (*Note: Must acquire the 1995 Colin Firth version).
Sense and Sensibility - I have the 1995 version with the stellar cast: Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant, Tom Wilkinson, Imelda Staunton, and Hugh Laurie (but their are more versions for me to get - yay!)
Emma - I only have the 1996 version but it has a great cast that includes Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeremy Northam, Alan Cumming, Juliet Stevenson, Ewan McGregor and Toni Collette (but there are sooooo many versions from me to choose from for further acquisitions - yay again!)

Mansfield Park - I have a 1983 BBC version which is good. Sadly, there are only two other versions out there, so far... I really want the 1999 version.
Northanger Abby - I have one of the two versions available (I think it's the 1986 A&E one) though to be honest I really do not care for this one so much, but am compelled to own at least one as I do not wish my Austen collection to be incomplete....you understand.

Finally, Persuasion - I currently have the 1995 version with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds which I also LOVE (and there are several versions out which I would like to view). But, today I watched a 2007 version made for TV that I was completely entranced by and now am compelled to acquire (as soon as able). It was shown on Masterpiece Classic on PBS and starred Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones (wicked cute).

I think what we can all take away from this is - Clancy does not own nearly enough of the many versions of these movies available! I mean, I do own three versions of Jane Eyre, so how can I not represent Ms. Austen better - right? And fear not reader/writers...I do also own all six novels as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment