Welcome ya'll,

Thanks for checking out my blog. This is mostly my own crazy thoughts on a variety of subjects, but primarily they will be about movies, tv, and books. Being a movie junkie, rabid reader, and TV show-aholic, this blog is just another excuse to feed my addictions. [a quiet 'yay me']. Hope you enjoy, Clancy Metzger

Friday, January 29, 2010

"Inglorious Basterds"

Quentin Tarantino - you go guy! What a terrific ride of speculative history.

'The Basterds,' who are the mostly American Jewish group of Nazi hunters on a quest to get themselves 100 Nazi scalps each, are lead by Brad Pitt and comprised of a wonderful if not altogether well-known group of actors. Probably the most well-known of these would be Til Schweiger. The supporting cast in the rest of the movie do a great job as well, and I can now fully appreciate why Christoph Waltz won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor for playing the an extremely pleasant and chipper Jew hunter (which really makes him even more sinister).

I will say that even as disaffected as I am by violence there were scenes in this that made me put my hand up to block my view - scalping is just gruesome. And anytime someone is being cut, I cringe - even when it's just some scene where two people are going to be 'blood brothers' or something and cut their thumb a little. It could have something to do with how many times I've cut myself slicing vegetables or opening a box or whatever - I'm clumsy or accident prone or grace-challenged. I just can't say - I'm OK with stabbing scenes just not slicing scenes. I dunno....but, I digress.

Bottom line - great movie, a little tongue-in-cheek (standard Tarantino), funny, but serious too. The Squeamish and Faint-of-Heart - don't say I didn't warn you. I am encouraged though; it's always a good sign, to me, if I can see why movies are nominated for multiple awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment