Welcome ya'll,

Thanks for checking out my blog. This is mostly my own crazy thoughts on a variety of subjects, but primarily they will be about movies, tv, and books. Being a movie junkie, rabid reader, and TV show-aholic, this blog is just another excuse to feed my addictions. [a quiet 'yay me']. Hope you enjoy, Clancy Metzger

Sunday, January 31, 2010

"The Dollhouse" done...I am sad : (

Let me start by saying, I am a Joss Whedon groupie. "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer", "Angel", "Firefly" - love'em all! "Buffy" had seven seasons, "Angel" five, and criminally, "Firefly" only had one but did get a movie to wrap it up. And now "The Dollhouse" is cut short too soon after only two seasons. And it was getting really good - really, really good.

"The Dollhouse" is about a company that takes people (mostly voluntarily), stores their personality, wipes their minds clear and then imprints them with other personalities (and skills) for the benefit of others - these people are called 'Dolls' and they live in a secret, protected environment called the Dollhouse. Typically, these others who benefit are rich people or corporations who have some bizarre or not quite legal need or fantasy. The dolls commit to six years of service at the end of which they will be richly compensated and will have no memory of all they did as dolls. Sounds good - right? Especially if you had something horrific happen to you which caused you to want to skip the grief of the next six years of your life anyway.

Well - be assured - it is not as good (?) as it sounds. The technology becomes a very bad thing that could lead to the end of mankind as we know us. And a few dolls, a few Dollhouse executives, and the genius that created the technology have to band together to save the world from becoming mindless drones.

As usual, Joss Whedon has created a brilliant show and uses many of his favorite actors from his previous shows (Eliza Dushku, Alan Tudyk, Summer Glau, Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof) to populate his world. Unfortunately, like "Firefly", "The Dollhouse" is being ended way to soon. Fan fervor brought about "Serenity", a movie based on "Firefly" - let us hope that fan fervor can resurrect "Dollhouse" in some way. As a fan of all things Whedon - I am SAD, Sad, sad about the end of "The Dollhouse" and will keep my fingers crossed. I will also anxiously await the next genius show out of Joss Whedon's genius mind.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Clancy -- I am also sad at the ending of Dollhouse. Season 2 has been phenomenal and just as it was getting to the point of addiction (as Joss Whedon's shows usually do for me), it got canceled!

    JW did say that by the time the last episode of Dollhouse aired, we would know what his next project was. So I'm trying to think... my guess would be related to the little girl. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. His stuff is sooo addicting isn't it? The little girl's a good idea. I was thinking of Adelle's job of putting the world back to rights...how to the new tech-heads integrate back in, how do you regain your life after it's been blank for any number of years - maybe that would not be a good story...hmmm. Actually - anything involving Topher would have been my first pick - I adored Topher and his quirky genius. Why oh why did they have to incinerate him - grr.

    ReplyDelete