Welcome ya'll,

Thanks for checking out my blog. This is mostly my own crazy thoughts on a variety of subjects, but primarily they will be about movies, tv, and books. Being a movie junkie, rabid reader, and TV show-aholic, this blog is just another excuse to feed my addictions. [a quiet 'yay me']. Hope you enjoy, Clancy Metzger

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Oscars

So, The Oscars were a couple days ago and I thought it was pretty darn good. No awards I thought were out of left field. No dresses that were crazy, crazy ugly, although there were some that I found unattractive or unflattering. No bad jokes, just good solid hosting from Neil Patrick Harris. No bizarre thank you messages, although some were non-thank youish in nature but still tasteful and worth hearing. So, all in all... a good Oscar night.

During the memorial part, there were so many names I'd either forgotten or didn't know we'd lost and so that was sad. As it always is.

I thought the tribute to The Sound of Music was terrific and Lady Gaga never looked prettier and she has a beautiful voice that may sometimes be overlooked when most of what we hear her sing is pop music. Not that I don't love pop music or think you can sing bad there - I don't. Just trying to say (very poorly) that she sang with beauty and grace and did Julie Andrews proud. And seriously, she looked great!

Glory which won Best Song so totally deserved it. It was the only song that got a standing ovation and rightfully so to my mind. I had goosebumps listening to it.

Kudos to Reese Witherspoon for her #askhermore campaign that brought light to the fact that actresses are more than their dresses and encouraged the press to ask them about more than who they were wearing.

Kudos to Patricia Arquette (Best Supporting Actress in Boyhood) who advocated for equal pay for women in her speech.

And finally loads of kudos to Graham Moore (Best Adapted Screenplay - The Imitation Game) who told how he had tried to commit suicide as a youth because he felt different and weird. He encouraged all who feel that way to "stay weird, stay different' because eventually they will find their place in the world like he did. Awesome!

And why the whole night happened - the movies. I thought there were so many great movies this year and they were all represented. I would have found it hard to choose between the movies and the amazing actors who starred in them and all the brains and talent that bring them to life in every other way. And that they were so amazing and so hard to choose between - I say good job, Academy, for making those tough calls.


No comments:

Post a Comment