Welcome ya'll,

Thanks for checking out my blog. This is mostly my own crazy thoughts on a variety of subjects, but primarily they will be about movies, tv, and books. Being a movie junkie, rabid reader, and TV show-aholic, this blog is just another excuse to feed my addictions. [a quiet 'yay me']. Hope you enjoy, Clancy Metzger

Monday, February 16, 2015

Backstrom

Backstrom is a new TV show starring Rainn Wilson. I love this!!!

It's based on a character from a series of books in Sweden by author, Leif GW Persson.  Since I haven't read these books, I will address the Americanized television show that I am crazy about (but that inspires me to find said books and read immediately).

We're only three episodes in but I think Everett Backstrom is a great character, He's an equal opportunity-insulter of everyone. He is overweight, drinks too much, sleeps too little, is crass, offensive, slovenly, and crude. Basically your run-of-the-mill genius jackass who happens to also be a cop... and a really good one at that. He's quirky and Rainn Wilson is so perfect for the role I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't read one of the books and say, "I want to play him!" And then go out and make that happen.

All of the side characters are great too but some standouts for me are his gay roommate who 'gets' Backstrom more than anyone else and sometimes facilitates between Backstrom and the world at large. And his Indian doctor, Dr. Deb, who is a grounding force in Backstrom's life. By being able to pass or not pass Backstrom's medical clearance, Dr Deb has leverage to force Backstrom into working towards being healthier than not. He prescribes that Backstrom get a friend or journal every lie he tells. It's so cool. Totally makes me laugh.

And Backstrom says and does the funniest shit. I find myself just laughing out loud throughout the show. I will pray to whatever TV gods I need to in order to keep this show going.  If irreverent dark humor is your thing, join me in loving this show.


No comments:

Post a Comment