Welcome ya'll,

Thanks for checking out my blog. This is mostly my own crazy thoughts on a variety of subjects, but primarily they will be about movies, tv, and books. Being a movie junkie, rabid reader, and TV show-aholic, this blog is just another excuse to feed my addictions. [a quiet 'yay me']. Hope you enjoy, Clancy Metzger

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Classic goodness, "My Man Godfrey"

There are two versions of this wonderful movie - the 1936 b/w version with William Powell and Carole Lombard and the 1957 version with David Niven and June Allyson. I love both. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen both of them. It's a lot.

The stories are slightly different, but essentially both are about a man, Godfrey, found living as a bum, who is rescued by a wealthy socialite. She is one of the two daughters of a screwball family and Godfrey becomes their butler. Did I mention it's a screwball comedy? It is. The nice daughter who saves Godfrey falls for him and makes his life a little uncomfortable, the other daughter is a vindictive wretch who tries to make his life a misery. The other fun characters include the housekeeper who also has a crush on Godfrey, the dingbat mother, her talentless protege, and the beleaguered father who has to deal with the insanity.

The thing with both of them is that they are both wonderful (did I already say that?). They are both funny, both different enough to make both worth watching, and have sweet messages. Like you never know where you might find love, that people can change, that you shouldn't take people for granted, and other stuff like that. They are really funny if you like screwball comedies and their silly humor. I do. I love old classic comedies. I love all the actors who star in these two great films. So, if this is your thing, or you just want to watch a movie with a nice story and good acting that has no violence, sex, swearing or special effects, then here ya go.

SPOILER ALERT!! I'm about to tell you the ending. So, stop here if you don't want a general idea of how they end. You probably know anyway, but still...

We eventually find out Godfrey is actually from a wealthy family, but hiding out from his status and past. And at the end, Godfrey embraces who he is and his love for our rescuing heroine.

2 comments:

  1. I've never even heard of this movie. Either one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This is probably the biggest reason for me writing this blog. So, I can share :)

    ReplyDelete