Welcome ya'll,

Thanks for checking out my blog. This is mostly my own crazy thoughts on a variety of subjects, but primarily they will be about movies, tv, and books. Being a movie junkie, rabid reader, and TV show-aholic, this blog is just another excuse to feed my addictions. [a quiet 'yay me']. Hope you enjoy, Clancy Metzger

Saturday, October 15, 2011

"Moneyball" and "Killer Elite"

So, yesterday I was feeling really desperate for some movie watching down time.  Did I have the money or time to spare - not really.  But did it improve my mood and energy level - Yes indeedy, it did! I really miss the days when I had the the luxury of cash and time for a weekly movie date (with anyone willing or by myself).  I did go alone last night, but that doesn't bother me in the least.  I get to watch what I want and eat ALL the popcorn... I really love those refillable tubs ready to attack my thighs at the first delectable taste of buttery, salty, crunchy goodness  :)
What did I go see all by myself in a late night double-header?  I saw Moneyball and Killer Elite (not that the title of my blog gave that away or anything....)

Moneyball was really good.  Starring Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill with supporting roles played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Wright.  And this time, although I would have seen it just for cutie Brad - he was not the reason I saw it. 

I saw it because it's a sports movie.  I may not even be a fan of the sport, but I love sports movies.  Not a fan of golf, but I'll watch Tin Cup all day long.  Don't watch boxing but I'll watch Girl Fight or any Rocky movie at the drop of a hat.  I do like ice hockey and I love Mystery, Alaska.  Also a fan of NFL and Any Given Sunday.  Rugby - yes. And rugby movie Forever Strong - hell yes.  When it comes to ice-skating I will watch competitions and any movie about it (can we say Cutting Edge?).  How about skateboarding and Lords of Dogtown.  Soccer's not really my thing but I won't say no to Escape to Victory.  And baseball.... not a big fan (don't hate - I know it's America's game) but Major League is awesome.  And now I have another sports movie to add to a really, really long list of sports movies I love.  I have plenty more titles for every sport mentioned - don't think I don't.

Moneyball is based on a true story (which is always nice) of how the game was changed back in 2002.  It has a terrific cast (already noted), and makes you think about what really is important or not.  Maybe it's if money is the ultimate goal, or can gut instinct and personal biases replace hard facts and statistics.  Maybe it's what's important to you, personally.  It's funny and serious and has you cheering for this baseball team and it's General Manager (Pitt) who is fighting an uphill battle against his players, his coach, his spotters, his boss and pretty much everyone involved in the sport.  He has one ally (Hill).  The two make a crazy - awesome pair.  Watch this one, folks.  So worth it.

As for Killer Elite.  I liked it.  It starred Robert DeNiro, Jason Statham and Clive Owen.  It's a fast paced, violent action flick of the variety I love.  Hired killers doing their level best to rack up a body count and one guy trying to turn it around and reinvent his life sans the killing.  Good stuff.  Great cast.  Well acted.  Not sure why I didn't love it.  I think it may have had something to do with the main premise of the story being a little thin but still and all - it was a good movie.  You could wait for video on this one though, but watch it then - if this is the violent kind of action movie you also love :)

1 comment:

  1. I go to movies alone all the time...love Sunday matinees. Money Ball is on my list, so now I'll definitely make time. Killer Elite...never was interested. Romance, comedy, and mysteries are my favs, although I also like sports movies. There's always an underdog to root for. Thanks Clancy!

    ReplyDelete